Darkly Labs Community

Three Brothers (Take 2)

I made this for my daughter using the same vectors from the lampshade. I used three different colors of tissue paper and translucent vellum. All that sandwiched between two pieces of glass. Drilled holes in both pieces of glass and screwed it together. I don’t recall the exact settings, but it was pretty quick, tissue paper cuts easily.  The only difficult part was drilling the glass.  (There is a rather bright light behind the artwork)

If interested in the glass drilling, keep reading; if not there is nothing for you to see here, please keep moving. :slight_smile:

I used a diamond coated 1/4" bit on 1/8" glass.  I used plumber’s putty to make a little dam around each hole.  This particular style of bit doesn’t have a center point so it walks around quite a bit.  What I did was to start the bit at a severe angle on the edge of the hole.  Once I got it started I filled the dammed area with water.  Placed the bit back in the groove I made and slowly worked it up to vertical.  This takes a long time, I used no pressure on the drill.  Just the weight of the drill is all you need.  Once the water runs out you are done.

Matthew

2 Likes

Hi Mathew,

That looks great.

Thanks for sharing and the extra info too (i kept reading!)