Darkly Labs Community

Slate Engraving Tests

Probably like most of us, I was really surprised by Giles Favell’s slate engraving using the 4w Emblaser. I had a project that needed slate engraving which I was going to do using the CNC, but now that I built an enclosure for my laser it has been allowing me much more time to play.  So I ordered up some cheap slate coasters and got to work.

I started with Giles’ speed and went from there. Using a 0.008” step with a 45deg hatch and the tile was hot. Went with a 0.006” step to see how the depth looked, then started playing with faster speeds and passes at different hatch angles to make sure everything was really evenly blasted.

In the end I didn’t see much difference other then heat generation and run time going slower verses faster with different passes.  I don’t know if there will be a difference between the 8 coasters for $5 on Amazon or something more expensive. So here’s a ton of pictures of the results and settings. The large pics are from my cell phone so the flash messed with uniform coloring, the zoomed in pics were under a microscope approx 14x.

1: 40mm/s, 0.006” step, 45deg hatch 1 pass, 0deg hatch 1 pass

2: 40mm/s, 0.006” step, 45deg hatch 2 passes, 0deg hatch 2 passes

3: 10mm/s, 0.006” step, 45deg hatch 1 pass, 0deg hatch 1 pass

4: 20mm/s, 0.006” step, 45deg hatch 1 pass, 0deg hatch 1 pass

5: 6mm/s, 0.008” step, 45deg hatch 1 pass, 0deg hatch 1 pass

6: 6mm/s, 0.008” step, 45deg hatch 2 passes

7: 5mm/s, 0.006” step, 45deg hatch 1 pass

8: 5mm/s, 0.008” step, 45deg hatch 1 pass (Giles’s setting)

This is excellent information Wayne.

Thank you so much for sharing it with the community.

Extremely useful data! Thank you…

just for info, the example we did was not ‘filled’ (hatched) but a pure and simple cut, taken from a converted bitmap file.