I’ve had the Emblaser 2 since the pre-order phase, and originally I was able to cut 3mm plywood relatively well (I’ll admit I don’t know if I got the settings 100% in the early stages) however for the past… I don’t know how long exactly, I haven’t been able to cut through 3mm plywood.
I have bought the silicone dust cover, I use the air assist, I ensure that the dust cover is on correctly (the laser when testing is a circle, not a semi circle or ovoid which occurs when the dust cover isn’t aimed correctly), I even upgraded from the achromatic lens to the quartz lens (I even sent in the entire lens set up for assistance putting the lens in because I had trouble with it), I’m using LightBurn and the library for 3mm plywood, I’m using lasersafe plywood from plyco. I’m pretty sure I am doing everything I can do to give it the best cut possible. The lens is also clean. I have run the configuration tool and I have done cuts at the wrong value (on accident) and the right value (I mention this because it covers in case I read the offset wrong)
I use the cutting mats and I make sure that the correct values are taken into consideration when using them.
Buy anyway, the quartz lens didn’t change the ability to cut, I still am only getting 2mm through the plywood. I’m making sure to use a dedicated power socket for the Emblaser 2 as well. I can’t think of anything else.
Edit: More information:
the 2mm depth is the ‘deepest’ cut I’m getting. At some places it’s only 1mm. I’m using my craft knife to test the depth and marking how deep in it goes, however because I know the knife becomes too thick I change over to paper to test how deep it goes and it is indeed 2mm at it’s deepest.
More tests using the default settings: no change.
More tests increasing number of passes using default setting: no change
More tests increasing number of passes AND using 0.25mm z step per pass: negligable change.
Took out the lens, cleaned it, made sure to inspect quality before re-inserting. Re-did ‘laser accuracy’ test (which was not easy in LightBurn compared to LaserWeb…) and re-did the calibration test. Made sure to use suitably sized card/paper to get an accurate offset.
The only thing I’ve noticed is that there is a significant amount of charcoal which might be blocking the laser. I am unsure if this is MORE charcoal than other people get when they cut the same material though.
I decide to test if my plywood might have absorbed moisture from the air. So I put my laserPly wood in the oven for an hour at 100 degrees. It definitely had some moisture, however after making sure the wood was cooled off and dry I did another test cut. Made sure the wood was flat while the cut was happening. The centre was weighted down, I checked the entirety of the board, it was flat.
It still. Won’t. Get past. 2mm.
It won’t even leave a mark on the opposite side.
I re-did the tests of adding Z-step per pass on this newly dried material.
I re-did the tests of increased passes.
I flipped the material around, just in case, (In fact, I have been lasering multiple different pieces of this laserPly, I just specifically tested the same piece both sides to prove a point)
I have been taking good care of my Emblaser 2.
With the help of the amazing people at Darkly Labs we were able to get it working 100%
I brought it in. Background: My Emblaser 2 was one of the pre-order ones so that is a bit of extra information.
Replaced the lens holding (it was originally the older version which was updated)
Improved lens clean (What I thought was a clean… was horrible)
Fixed/replaced the air assist (I didn’t notice the air assist wasn’t working at 100% but they did.
Plus other fixes.