Darkly Labs Community

New Core owner - initial impressions, feedback, and questions

These are mostly in order of discovery, and some are trivial, but there may be value for another first time owner of a Core…

1: Put the rail brackets on both ends of short rails before attaching brackets to frame.
This makes it much easier to push the rail brackets on, rather than trying to push the short rail in at an angle, and then push against it while trying to get the other end on.

2: The Belt Hub had the “green tab” in the middle of the stopped channel, which caused me a lot of
confusion. The first end of the belt should go in the channel which has only one end open, and
be inserted all the way. What is the purpose of the tabs anyway?

3: The Belt Hub had to be trimmed of 3D printing brim in order to fit into the laser carriage.

4: After Step 5.08 - add “Step 5.09, connect USB and power cables (do not plug power pack into power).”
This would be *much* easier than trying to contort your hand inside to do the connections after
completing assembly.

5: Adding the Air Assist means blocking a significant amount of “pass-through” capability. Maybe
warn about this, and suggest external mounting if “pass-through” is a priority.

6: Stage 6 steps are all numbered as 8-something, not 6-something.

7: User Manual - page 9 “Plugging in” has the power connection diagram next to the USB instruction,
and the USB diagram next to the Power instruction.

8: How can I set a static IP address for the Emblaser Core?

9: My LightBurn Material library is empty, and the only link to a downloadable material database
I could find on the DarklyLabs website is broken.
(Solved: eventually found another link which works)

10: Is there “E-Stop” functionality? I have had a couple of occasions where I’ve hit “Stop” in LightBurn
but the Emblaser Core has kept running. I’ve had to use the Disable physical button.

11: If you use “Stop” in LightBurn, the air assist continues running. I’m planning to look into
gcode to stop air assist, but either automatically stopping, or a software on/off control would be good.
(Solved: Used Macro buttons and gcode to add Air Assist On, Off and Low functions, Yet to test after Stopping a job, but works while Core is idle.)

12: There is a strange pot included - what is it for?

13: Pictures of lens cleaning all show a tool for removing the lens - should there have been one with my Core?

14: The “Origin” on the yellow baseplate sticker is poorly positioned. I initially aligned the corner of the mat with the triangle above the word “Origin”, but this means the mats cover the majority of the warning sticker, and the calibration horizontal cuts nearly miss the calibration card.
It seems the origin and indicator triangle should be at the *top* of the warning sticker.

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for taking the time to note down your first impressions. This is very useful information for us to improve the product and customer experience.

We will review your feedback and implement improvements to our documentation.

I have asked Lliam fro our Support department to help you with the question you have.

Domenic

Hi Andrew,

Domenic has asked me to assist you with the questions from your post above. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch if I have missed something or if you are experiencing any issues. See answers below:

8: How can I set a static IP address for the Emblaser Core?

You can not set a static IP for the Emblaser.

10: Is there “E-Stop” functionality? I have had a couple of occasions where I’ve hit “Stop” in LightBurn
but the Emblaser Core has kept running.

In the case of a real emergency, the best E-Stop on an Emblaser would be to use the Power Button on the machine, though there is no method of recovery form this.

The [Stop] button should make that machine stop almost instantly, though again job progression is lost, so there is no easy method of recovery.

If you are experiencing issues with this, please make sure you have the latest version of Lightburn and Emblaser firmware installed. If the issue persists please email support@darklylabs.com with a video displaying the issue.

Lightburn: https://darklylabs.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000039736-LightBurn-Software

Firmware: https://darklylabs.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004038388-Emblaser2-Core-Firmware

Note: Gcode commands are sent from Lightburn in batches and stored in the Emblaser’s buffer until executed. When you press [Pause] the commands already sent have to be executed before the Emblaser will stop.

12: There is a strange pot included - what is it for?

The small container is intended to store isopropyl alcohol for cleaning the Focus Lens.

13: Pictures of lens cleaning all show a tool for removing the lens - should there have been one with my Core?

No, improvements to the Lens cap design have removed the need for the tool. The cap can now be removed easily by hand.

I hope this covers everything, again don’t hesitate to let me know if you require any further assistance.

Best regards,

Lliam

Customer Support Team

D A R K L Y    L A B S

d a r k l y l a b s . c o m