Darkly Labs Community

Mirror

Nothing fancy, just messing around with mirrors to get a feel for how they worked.  Local home improvement store has a 6pk of 30x30cm mirrors for $10, can’t go wrong with that deal!  The etched text has three things going on for that test. It was a raster image the darker part was only etched in one direction and the whiter part with a 45 deg cross hatch.  I always used cross hatch on my EM1, never liked the look when it wasn’t that way.  Next test was rubbing some blue paint that was handy to see how it looked.

Next up was a raster of me and my wife, its 1.5x1.5cm.  I didn’t paint the back, but if I do it will come out a lot clearer.

Also in case you haven’t noticed, taking pictures of mirrors is a pain.  The only way to get them to not be out of focus is taking a picture of yourself! Actually there is a way, I believe you have to be exactly offset by 8 degrees which requires a tripod and math skills, neither of which I have…

That’s timely Wayne. A friend of mine fitted a 4W laser to his CNC machine.  He does a lot of edge lit acrylic and tried glass for the first time applying 3 light coats of matt black spray paint before etching on his new laser.  This is the result - edge lit glass.

Oh - timely because he only run this test yesterday.

A year ago I found you can etch glass (microscope slides) by backing them with white paper, using my Emblazer 1. It etched the back of the glass not the front. 

https://flic.kr/p/WuyNPu

Interesting thanks for sharing Giles.  Checked out your model making.  Did you laser your finger nail?

A product to try. For those in Oz…available at Bunnings.  Apparently works a treat on glass as a mask. Wonder how it will go on clear Acrylic.

That could also be a handy spray on wetsuit if you unexpectedly fell into cold water.

1 Like

Purchased a can Rust-Oleum just before reading this post, only just tried on clear perspex. Wow best thing since sliced bread. Applied 2 thin coats to my 3mm sheet perspex which the laser handled quiet well. Coating wasn’t too hard to remove once you get started, Very happy with the results

Hi Graham, that´s looks awesome :slight_smile: Great to lighting the engravings from the bottom with LED-stripes.

Do i understand it right:

You spray 2 coats of Rust -Oleum, then you laser the graphics, and finally you peel the coating away. A matt surface remains in the plexiglass. Is that correct?

Can i ask you, the laser settings?

Many thanks
Salvatore

Hi Salvatore, Yes you understand correctly. Although you can use a matt black paint I’ve found the Rust-Oleum to be so easy as it peels off like a thin skin. You might have to rub it with your thumb in one direction to get it started. 

Settings were for my 4W laser

Power 90%

Speed 5 mm/sec

Pass 1

Cut on for the corners

Cross Hatch Fill for the sign

Step Over 0.2

Angle 10 deg

One thing to remember ( only because I have forgotten twice) “Reverse the Text” 

When Edge Lighting perspex the opposite side of the engrave is the brightest. Very easy to forget.

Im not sure if if going to small with the graphic is a good idea, one I did tonight ended up looking like it had jagged cuts across the engrave. Could have been because I converted a Jpeg to an outline in Corel Draw although it looked clean it wasn’t perfect, will have to run some tests tomorrow 

Hope this helps Salvatore, 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Graham, many thanks for your detailed informations.

Your second try has maybe “failed” because of the JPG-picture that was not correctly converted to a vector graphic. The effect in the perspex is somehow cool.

Some time ago i had made some tests with black painted perspex. It worked, but the laser had only lasered the black paint away and the surface of the perspex was not dull at all. When I illuminated the plexiglas from the bottom, the effect of lighting up the graphics did not really exist.

Other tests with perspex i had made was, to laser on paper tape that was stick on the surface of the perspex, and laser on to it. The results was not really satisfactory (see picture below).

Now i hope that with your informations i can reach this results, as if the surface was edited with a cnc-machine.

Thanks again for sharing your tests and for your valuable the informations.

Regards
Salvatore