Darkly Labs Community

LightBurn Released

We are happy to announce that LightBurn has been released for the Emblaser range. If you are an existing customer, please check the following tutorials on how to get up and running.

Updating Emblaser 1 for LightBurn

Switching from LaserWeb to LightBurn

We have created three basic tutorials to help you get started. Videos will follow soon.

1 Like

Hi Dom

All good except the store checkout keeps telling me to Accept Terms & Conditions; I dammed if I can find the bx to tick ?

David

hi it works as long as you don’t select paypal, for some reason it returns with paypal to confirm order screen minus term acceptance and is now missing.  Credit card

is okay.

Just tested as per firmware update & software, works great. Library appears to work. ( for paper anyway). Calibration works same value for me as laser web ( as expected).

Yeah, I worked around the bug and used a Credit Card that worked OK

My initial testing is good, I think the stepper travel is actually improved as far as smoothness goes, suspect that may be to do with swapping the step and direction wires on the pin.

One thing I did notice on my EMB1 is that I dont have 280mm Y any more. It maxes at 275mm before it hits the acrylic frame. I wonder if the homing offset is to blame?

David

In the Z offset do we need to add the 10mm for the Mat

Alan

In the Z offset do we need to add the 10mm for the Mat

Alan

The mat height should be entered in the base height. (10mm for the silicon mat) The Z offset is used to start the laser lower (for cutting) or higher for defocusing.

If you hover your mouse over the Z offset window it will give you the description.

Cheers

Daryl

Alan, in the cut info area you will see a box called ‘support (mm)’, this relates to the thickness of the cutting mat if you are using it. Also set the thickness of the material in ‘material (mm)’ and you don’t need to divide it by 2 as in Laserweb.

I have been trialling the Emblaser beta test version for the last 3 or 4 weeks and I have done somewhere around 30 or 40 hours cutting with Lightburn and I can only sing the praises of it compared to Laserweb. There is no way I would ever use Laserweb again. There are one or two things which would be useful which were in Laserweb but Lightburn is streets ahead in terms of it usability. I look forward to seeing the product develop as more and more people use it.

Ralph

Thanks for that.

I have also note that the speds seem to be set low. Example for 3mm ply cut it is set to 3.3mm/sec. Is this correct.I notice on the LightBurn Lesson 1: Spirograph the speed is 200mm/sec is this correct

Alan

Sorry just note that it is 200mm/m

Alan

Alan,

Could be set on the conservative side. This setting of course is dependant on material and how well the focus has been established on each individual machine.  I’m cutting 3mm laser grade ply at 400mm/min 100% power 3 passes.  There are a lot of variables for each user to contend with so carrying out your own tests on your machine will give the optimum settings for you.

Daryl

Alan - in the settings there is a toggle to let you switch between mm/sec and mm/min. The /sec measure is more useful for CO2 lasers, where the cuttings speeds are faster. You’re likely more used to seeing mm/min measures with LaserWeb and the Emblaser.

1 Like

Apologies Alan,

I think I misunderstood your question.

Can seem to get stop and pause to work. Is there something I am doing wrong.

Alan

sorry should read can not.

Alan

Alan,

Just tried it.  Stop has an immediate effect and resume takes awhile…maybe till the buffer empties. But both options OK on my E2.

Just tested again its OK on a small file but if its on a long cut does not seem to stop.

Alan

It may have to finish a line of gcode before stopping which sort of makes sense on a long cut as it will be one instruction.

OK I understand now. Will try from now on to  break up my cuts into more cut layers where possible.

Alan

Breaking up the cuts into more layers won’t help - Stop will always be instant, but pause can take some time when doing cuts because Smoothie needs to process all the commands in the plan buffer before it will pause. The only way around that would be to send it one move at a time, like LaserWeb used to, and that dramatically reduces engraving performance. We’re looking into making our “push-ahead” system smarter to allow the pause to happen more quickly, but this is mostly a firmware issue that we’re trying to work around.

Grbl, has a pause command we send, and it pauses instantly. Smoothieware offers no such option.