Darkly Labs Community

Laser head is shifting when moving across a certain spot

Hi guys,

There’s a point in the top left corner (right near home) where, if the laser tries to move across it in a diagonal or curve at speed (including if it’s trying to frame) it does a little shift to the bottom and loses its line. I’ve done up a video of it doing it on some circles to show where it goes off course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUGbXpNTndM

I’m wondering if it’s possible that one of the belts is damaged in a certain place? There’s a tiny little fray I show in the video but that doesn’t seem substantial enough to make it shift as much as it does.

I can work around it for a bit by starting my things in the bottom left corner so it doesn’t pass across that bit, and it doesn’t have the issue when it’s moving very slowly (in the sub-5mm/s range, but I haven’t tested the actual speed it starts slipping - it was going 50mm/s in the video), but I know it’s only a matter of time until a file accidentally crosses paths with that spot and ruins whatever I’m working on.

Any ideas would be appreciated, and I will probably do up a file of it trying to cross-hatch the whole board this afternoon to make sure it’s only in that one place.

• Sara

Hi Sara,

It looks like your machine may not have ‘homed’ correctly and is colliding with the top edge.

Can you please move the laser to the middle of the workspace and then video what it does when you first turn the machine on?

Hi, apologies for the delay, I ended up away from the laser over the holidays, and didn’t get to do any trouble shooting till this week.

It seems to home fine, and it isn’t at the top edge where the shifting occurs: instead it’s happening very briefly about a centimetre down, and then more severely about another centimetre below that. It shows it homing at the end of the video anyway.  

I have done up a lightburn file that is just zigzaggy lines going across back and forth (as you can see at the start of the video) because I wanted to see if I could pinpoint exactly where the problem point was. It’s very hard to film the laser, but about 10 seconds in you can see it seem to pause for a second - it is at this point that the whole thing becomes mis-aligned. Please excuse the fact that it seems to be flashing - I didn’t realise that I had it on a perforation cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LjEwpqRNYs

I’ve also taken a couple of photos that show where the shifting occurs in relation to the home position - all those top rows that are on top of one another are where the shift has set them off course, then when it gets to the left side, because it would now be out-of bounds, it seems to correct itself and the bottom ones are okay.

I will probably do up another file where the lines are longer and closer together, to see if I can find any other places where it does it - I think there’s one on the right somewhere as well, as I’ve noticed things being misaligned over there too, but it could have fallen in one of the gaps.

• Sara

Hi Sara,

Thanks for getting back in touch!

So that we can get to the bottom of what is causing the problem visible in the video you provided I have created a support ticket for you.

You will recieve an email shortly and we can take it from there.

Best regards,

Lliam

Customer Support Team

D A R K L Y    L A B S

d a r k l y l a b s . c o m

Was there a resolution to this problem it seems I might have a similar issue

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for posting on the Darkly Labs Community site!

I believe Sara had an early Emblaser Core and that one of Gantry Carriages had broken.

I’ll create a support ticket for you so that we can get to the bottom of this.

Best regards,

Lliam

Customer Support Team

D A R K L Y    L A B S

d a r k l y l a b s . c o m