Darkly Labs Community

Laser Cut Leather Items

I’ve had the emblaser since June and I still love using it. I’ve been laser engraving and laser cutting a lot of leather items and I’ve been meaning to post some of them here to show what’s possible. While cutting times can be long for some of these leathers and finer cut detail in most leather is not possible, it’s so much easier to use than the 40w chinese laser cutter I have gathering dust in the garage (I was never able to get it to work right).

I sell these items in my etsy shop and I’m planning some new designs thanks to the emblaser. My only regret is that I didn’t get the larger size emblaser. :slight_smile:

-Alia

P.S. For anyone new to working with the emblaser and leather, I recommend testing on small scraps of the leather you will be using as cuts/engravings really vary from one leather to the next

==============

Laser cut Leather iPhone 6 s holster

Laser Cut and Engraved Leather Sketchbook

iPhone Stand/Keychain

Absolutely amazing work.

Thank you so much for sharing.

The Darkly Labs Team

Thanks Domenic!

Alia,

Awesome work! Have you tried cutting stitching holes? I make leather wallets using 2-3oz veg tanned leather.

Thanks!
Mike

Hi Mike,

I’ve tried cutting the stitching holes but it seemed to create too much of a charred mess (I think because of the size). So I just mark the holes with the laser and use my rotary punch to cut the holes. It’s pretty fast and I could never get such even stitches without it.

Alia

Great idea, Thanks!

Hey, Im new to the whole emblaser world and have been using mine for a couple of days, mainly with leather
I was just wondering, how do you clean the leather when you’re done? Ive noticed after ive finished a design theres black residue from being burnt, and I dont know what the best way to clean it is?

Your work looks amazing!!

Erin,
I work solely with veg tanned leather. I’ve found that with small engravings (mainly vector logos, monograms etc…) and thin leather (2-4oz) I don’t need to rinse. I engrave then dye. For deeper engravings and thicker leather, I run water over engraving very quickly while wiping with damp sponge. Careful not to get to wet.
Good luck!

Hi Erin,

For engravings I just carefully wipe over it with a dry cloth. For charred cut edges I use a soft cloth to clean it (sometimes I’ll cut up an old t-shirt and use those scraps) by just rubbing along the edge until the charred powder stops coming off and I know it’s clean. It’s a pain but it does produce a nice smooth edge. It doesn’t remove the dark edges but I personally like that. With Veg Tan leather I find the laser cut edges are actually easier to burnish by the way. I usually use a little bit of beeswax after cleaning to do that. And with oil tan leathers I find the laser cutting helps seal the edges, which is nice because with most oil tans (or maybe all?) you can’t burnish the edges when you cut by hand.

Just make sure with leather you vent to the outside. Also don’t make the mistake I have and use chrome tanned leathers-- I found out recently that is really dangerous to laser cut. Thankfully I’ve always vented to an adjacent window where I have mine set up but it’s still not worth the risk. The safest leather to cut is actually undyed veg tan.

This still feels like new territory for me too and there’s not a lot of info out there on laser cutting leather, so if you find anything that works for you definitely post what you find. :slight_smile:

looks great but i have one question.

How do you hold down the leather so it doesn’t curl when I try cutting my leather always curls from the heat?

I used to have a real problem with that with the Emblaser 1 because the curled up leather would catch on the laser head and the whole piece would be ruined. The curling for me wasn’t from the heat though but from the way the leather is stored. What I started doing then and still do is to roll the leather with the good side out for an hour or so before I laser cut it. The reason I do this is because the leather I get is usually rolled up with the good side in when I get it from the leather suppliers and it doesn’t want to lay flat. So I roughly cut the piece I’m going to be working with from the side of leather and roll that piece good side out to offset the curl. I’ve found doing that plus using a good double stick tape to hold the edges down usually does the trick.