Darkly Labs Community

Just Getting Back into it

Hello everyone! I am just firing up my Emblaser 2 again after a year of turmoil in my life. I have purchased my license for Lightburn and followed the listed steps for switching from Laserweb to Lightburn. The software seems to connect to the E2, and I can jog the laser around. But I have a bunch of questions I hope Dominic or anyone could help me out with:

The switching instructions stated that once upgraded, when powering on the E2 I should no longer get a popup saying it created an E2 drive, but this still happens every time I power up the E2.

When I power up the E2, it homes like it always did to the upper left corner of the machine, and beeps twice. When I tell it to home through Lightburn it sends the laser to 0,0 which is the lower left corner of the machine. I am confused…is this normal behavior, or should it be homing to the same spot no matter what.

Are there any specific calibration procedures I need to perform before using the machine? I suspect I need to do a laser calibration test and input the result like I did the first time I used the E2, but any others?

How do I get the camera to work?

I downloaded and tried to cut the Spirograph. Everything went well but the laser did not cut through the 3mm ply…not even close…was this because I didn’t do the calibration test again? I noticed the base was set to 10mm for the standard Darkly base pieces, but should I have set this value to 13 mm, 0r 11.5mm since I was cutting 3mm plywood?

So far I like the new software, it seems to open all my files that I couldn’t open with Laserweb, and is feature packed. I am looking forward to learning everything about Lightburn and making some cool stuff! Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi David,

You have a few things going on here.

The switching instructions stated that once upgraded, when powering on the E2 I should no longer get a popup saying it created an E2 drive, but this still happens every time I power up the E2.

This would indicate you do not have the latest version of the firmware installed.

With the machine turned on and connected to LightBurn, go to the ‘Console’ menu and type the word: ‘version’ (without the quotes) into the ‘type here’ field.

This will return information on the firmware version you have installed. It should be v123 or v124.

When I power up the E2, it homes like it always did to the upper left corner of the machine, and beeps twice. When I tell it to home through Lightburn it sends the laser to 0,0 which is the lower left corner of the machine.

Can you confirm that you have the ‘Emblaser 2 / Core’ selected in LightBurn?

How do I get the camera to work?

Since you have an early machine, you will need to perform the two camera calibration steps. You can do this from the Emblaser->Emblaser Setup-> menu. Perform the Lens and alignment processes.

Once done, you can use the ‘Camera’ menu to take snapshots of the workspace.

I downloaded and tried to cut the Spirograph. Everything went well but the laser did not cut through the 3mm ply…not even close…was this because I didn’t do the calibration test again?

Without the correct firmware version installed, the Emblaser will not store the appropriate calibration values onto your machine. I recommend checking the firmware as suggested above and then re-running the focus calibration.

Thanks for the response Domenic! I will look at all these and report back.

I realize I have an early machine and I was wondering, what are the changes/upgrades and could I benefit from installing these upgrades? Is it even possible to install the upgrades on my machine?

You say that once working I can take snapshots of the work area? Am I going to be able to use the camera for image alignment on my work piece as described?

Thanks

The main upgrades that will affect you are as follows:

1: Rev 2 laser diode released with approx 20% more power

https://darklylabs.com/product/replacement-diode-module-e2/

2: Revised lens unit released which dramatically simplifies the lens cleaning process.

https://darklylabs.com/product/e2_lens_assembly-v2/

3: Firmware v123 and updated versions released.

Dominic

I did the version inquiry through the Lightburn console and it did not return V123 or v124

image.png

So I tried to update the firmware through LightBurn and it wouldn’t do it. Just returned this error:

image.jpg

I even went through the switching from Laserweb to lightburn process and it still wouldn’t update…every time restarted the E2 it would create a drive and the files would look the same. My PC is running Windows 10 home and is current with updates.

image.jpg

I am swapping this older PC out for a newer machine running windows 10 pro. Is there a way I could just install the new drivers on the new machine? I can move my registration of Lightburn to the new machine I hope. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi David,

If you are still getting the SD drive mounting to your computer, download the latest version of the firmware, unzip the files and copy them over to the SD drive. Then restart your machine:

https://darklylabs.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004038388-Emblaser2-Core-Firmware

This will install the latest firmware version and future updates can be performed through LightBurn.

If you are no longer getting the mounted SD drive, then you will need to access the SD card on your controller board and copy the files to it directly through a computer. Here is an article on accessing the SD card:

https://darklylabs.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115007852828-Replace-Emblaser-2-SD-Card-Rev1-0-

Domenic

I have done that several times…downloaded the firmware and unzipped it to the SD drive that comes up when I start the E2. It doesn’t update the drivers because when I restart the E2 it still boots up the SD drive on my PC. When I unziped the drivers to the SD drive the first time I didnt’ get any overwrite messages ( I do now when I try it over and over because the files are on there now), and when I look at the drive the old firmware drivers are still there, along with folders containing the new firmware files. I am trying to be patient, but I feel like I’m going around in the same circle with no real resolution. Should I delete everything that’s in the SD drive and then unzip the new firmware drivers into it? I am reluctant to do that because I see other folders that I’m not sure if they need to stay. You keep telling me to do the same generic  procedure that hasn’t worked for me over and over. Here is a screenshot of the SD drive after I unzipped the firmware files into it:

All the new unzipped drivers are in that E2 Firmwarev123 file. Should they not be in that folder? Just in the main directory?  Firmware.cur, and on_boot.gccode are old files (2017). Should I delete those files? Could you please take a closer look at whats going on here…I really want to get this machine running…I know you are busy with other things, maybe someone from Lightburn could help me figure this out. Thanks

Hi David,

Lets try the following:

1: Delete all the files on your current SD card.

2: Go to this link and download the two files:

https://cp.sync.com/dl/b5fa8c6d0/kxci56u6-xcb69meu-gt53mhp5-ih6zmts6

You should have a file called firmware.bin and one called on_boot.gcode

3: Copy both of these files to the root of the SD card. Not in a folder, just on the SD card.

4: Restart your Emblaser

This should get your firmware updated.

If you are still having problems, please raise a support ticket and we can look into what may be causing your problems further.

Domenic

That worked! I am now currently running at V123. The machine homes correctly through Lightburn now. I will now go through the camera and laser calibration and hopefully will be cutting soon! Thanks for your help.

About the upgrades…just wondering if people have been finding the power improvement worth the cost of upgrading to the newer laser diode. Also, the new improved laser diode module does not come with the newer improved lens assembly? And does the new lens assembly upgrade come with the newer lens?

Thanks again

Hi David,

Glad that worked.

The Rev2 laser diode module and the lens assembly are separate items.

We only offer the Rev2 laser diode module and the Rev2 lens assembly these days. The lens assembly includes the revised design for easier cleaning.

Hope that makes sense.