Darkly Labs Community

Image on leather using PEP, settings, photos and then failure

I want to make a bobber seat for my HD sporty, so i thought a practice was needed before committing to a much larger piece. The image i want to use is a very old photo of the Harley Davidson founding fathers in front of their first shop.  I used photoshop to crop and adjust size.  

original photo.

PEP settings

settings. Just noticed i havent got feed rate change checked.

Using Picsender to send to emblaser 1

Lasering  20cm x 16cm

image.jpgthe lasered image seems too dark, but i find after a soapy wash to remove excess soot, the image lightens up.

image.jpgwet washed leather.

Next,  the leather has to dry.  I usually let the leather dry naturally, but because i wanted to finish this today, I thought i would put the leather in a low oven to dry it.

SO NOW YOU WANT TO SEE THE FINISHED PIECE.   BUT I FORGOT ABOUT THE OVEN AND LEFT IT IN WAY TOO LONG…I NOW HAVE A CURLED UP, SEMI BURNT PIECE OF LEATHER THAT IS HARD AS A ROCK.

SORRY!!!

I think if i do it again…maybe down to max of 40.  Hopefully i will achieve more detail when it comes to the seat as it will be much bigger.   cheers

2 Likes

Bummer…

The image is great…sorry you over cooked it.

Looks great Caroline!  Did you engrave without feedrate change checked?

The detail is amazing. Great job Caroline! I’m sure the next go round will be even better.

There was a series on the Discovery channel about the history of Harley Davidson. It was very interesting how they started out, struggled through hard times/competition and grew from there innovations over the years. Here in the US, it’s now at Redbox on DVD.

https://www.redbox.com/movies/harley-and-the-davidsons

1 Like

Jeff, i watched the series and absolutely loved it.  It was that series that started me on the Harley research. It was hard to find hi res photos.   After making motorbike seats for over 10 years for other peoples Harleys,  I can now make one for myself.  I have a 2008 HD Sportster Low.  It is great to ride again after 20 years off bikes.  So i am finally planning my OWN seat! The Founders will only be part of the design. They will be towards the top of the seat…still deciding on the rest…not going to hurry this one.  Cheers

2 Likes

Michael…it looks like I didnt have it checked.   I have put in 25% but didnt click the box…doh!!!

Hello Caroline!
Would you let me know what versions PE/PS and cut2d you are using when u get a chance.
Thanks!

Hey michael,…  Cut2d v 8.024   Vtranser v 1.0  PEP5 cant see version, but says 2013,   Psender 2.3.4  cheers

Thanks Caroline!

Got it straight.  Using latest versions of PEP5, PS and cut2d.  Using PS to send to emblaser.  Updated post processor and all is well!  Back to work and hope to post some work shortly:)