Darkly Labs Community

How to accurately position small material with Emblaser 2?

Just wondering how people go about lining up the cut or engrave with Laserweb and the Emblaser 2 onto small materials.
Like dog tags perhaps, or those that are engraving onto existing things like pens or wallets… How do you know it will be perfectly centered?

Is there a way to run the cut and somehow watch on the material where the laser will be burning?
Fast with low power perhaps?

Or do you just jog around manually to all corners of the design and hope for the best?

Thanks!

Hi,

Would love to hear what others do as well!!

Steve

Hi,

I lay down a base material of 3mm ply or similar and engrave an outline I create of my small object on this base material. I then position the piece within the outline and run actual the job.  For pens, just a rectangle the size of the pen with a centre line extending through it works well.  Of course the base material must not be moved during the process.

This is my method to positioning existing items for engraving. 

Daryl

1 Like

Thanks Daryl,

Will give that method a shot!!

Steve

Thanks Daryl

Hi,

Hope that you help again Daryl.

I am from the CNC/Vectric world - so in VCarve I can change my datum position to the centre of workspace and overlay the centre of my image over that.  This ensures that the engraving is centred on my marked centre.

I am trying to accomplish the same thing with LaserWeb and the EM2 but am not having much joy.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve 

Hi Steve,

I also use CNC/Vectric(Aspire)  and operate exactly as you do in this environment.  In the E2 environment, I use CUT2D-Laser and centre all my work within the job by selecting all vectors and hit the F9 to centre.  I wrote a simple macro in LaserWeb  that moves the laser head to the centre of the work area and then I position my material to align a pencil cross I have placed on the work material. Simple Macro I named “Go to Work Area Centre”    G0X250-Y150.

If you need further help yell out. Also feel free to send an Email dghooke@gmail.com 

Cheers

Daryl

Hi Daryl,

I tried that and it works, but the problem is that I want to make sure that my workpiece is also positioned against the guides on the X or Y axis to make sure that it is in straight.  If I place it in the middle, then I have not assurance that it is in square.

That is why I prefer to line up the laser with the centre and go!!  Now I realise that I can find the X and Y coordinates of the centre mark for each piece and including a macro to suit, but that can become a bit laborious.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I sight the material with the frame or rails of the machine to square it up.

Ah!!  I can’t trust my eyes - much prefer to square against the guides.  Hopefully Domenic will be able to shed some light.

Thanks

Steve

Make a jig!

I’m making some personalized blocks as some of our friends seem to be having children recently. I used the Emblaser 2 to cut a jig from some scrap 3mm plywood to accurately position several blocks at a time, made a quick test pattern to figure out the offset for each position. 

Here’s the papers (also cut to the size of one block face with the handy laser!) with the test pattern to figure out the offset:

I put some magnets into the jig as well to keep it from sliding about should the air assist be strong enough to move the blocks. 

\

Hi Thomas,

While I agree that I can make a jig, I make quite a few items in different sizes and would have to make a jig each time which is not practical from my point-of-view.  I may be sticking my neck out here, but there must be a way to accomplish this in the software.

So… after playing around for a while, here whatI have accomplished so far -

Jog the head to image centre on workpiece -> Set Zero -> move my image in the workspace (Center 0,0) ->Run the job. The head moves to what seems to be the correct location to start the job, the laser fires BUT the Z-axis does not move down to the start height.

image.png

The Gcode however shows that the Z-axis move is there -

G21 G90 ; Pass 0 ; First Move G0 X-38.00 Y-38.00 ; Pass Z Height 15mm (Offset: 0mm) G0 Z15.000 ; Generated by LaserWeb (lw.raster-to-gcode.js) ; Size : 0 x 0 mm ; PPI : x: 300 - y: 300 ; PPM : x: 0.0846666667 - y: 0.0846666667 ; Tool diam. : 0.2 mm ; Feed rate : 4000 mm/min ; Beam range : 0 to 1 ; Beam power : 0 to 100 % ; Options : trimLine, joinPixel, burnWhite G1 F4000 G1 X-38.00 Y-38.00 S0.0000

Getting there slowly!!  Any help to get over this Z-Axis issue sorted would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Looks like you are going about it the right way.

What is happening when you click the ‘set zero’ is that it is setting the z-axis to zero as well, which is incorrect, since your laser should be at the top position (50mm).

One workaround is to the following line into your gcode, just after the ‘;First Move’ line:

G0Z50

This will ‘try’ to move the laser up to 50mm and then be in the correct position for the next codes to position its height. 

Let me know if that works.

Ok Domenic,

What I did instead was after positioning the laser where I wanted it, I zeroed the X and the Y separately and it worked!!!

Only problem is that afterwards it still tries to go back to the default home and bangs into the X rail at the back.  Ideally, what I believe should happen is that it should go back to the temporary zero.

This will allow repetitive jobs to be done without having to re-zero the X and Y each time. When the full run is done, we can do the Home to get the laser head back to the default Home position.

Steve

Hi Domenic,

Anything new on the returning to temporary home position instead of the default home between jobs?

Thanks

Steve

You can change the ‘GCODE END’ sequence in LaserWeb for this.