Darkly Labs Community

E Core not moving as expected

Hi Guys, wondering if you may have come across this.

I haven’t been able to use the Emblaser Core for a year and when it was put away Im sure it was working fine. The machine powers up and home’s as it should but when the head is moved either manually or with a simple “cut a square” project the head starts to move diagonally instead of the direction it should. Ive updated to the latest EC f/W V126 and the latest Lightburn 0.9.14 and I’ve run out o ideas.

This is a capture from the console when I manually try to moved the head (left from memory) but instead it stutters and moves diagonally. 

The same commands to my EMB 1 works fine

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance 

Hi Mark,

Given your Emblaser has been inactive for some time, it is worth making sure that the rails/bearings are clean and well lubricated. I recommend cleaning the rails with a lint free cloth, then applying some of the Super Lube , synthetic grease, included with your Emblaser.

Following this, please check that the motor pulleys are positioned correctly on the motor shafts and that the grub screws are tight. Also take a quick look at the rest of the idle pulleys along the belt path to make sure everything is moving freely.

Next, with the Emblaser off, slowly move the Laser Carriage around the workspace manually. This will circulate the grease and you should be able to pick up any spots that may be causing additional friction, or any bearings or motor that may be causing issues.

Let me know how you go with the above. If this doesn’t help I can transfer the issue across to a support ticket to assist you further.

Best regards,

Lliam

Customer Support Team

D A R K L Y    L A B S

d a r k l y l a b s . c o m

HI Lliam

Thanks for your help, I should have mentioned that the movement appears fine. I had cleaned the rails and lubricated as you mentioned too. If I move the head to the far extents and then power on the carriage moves properly to the start position.

The emblaser was packed away in an insulated case so the time away has not been detrimental to its condition.

Regards Mark

Guys, just to followup on this.

Today I retention the belts because they felt a little tight and now the problem is gone. I don’t know if the last job I did was in summer and the belts have now got tighter over winter or not but the problem is solved.

Cheers

Thanks for letting us know, Mark.

Glad your back up and running!

Best regards,

Lliam

Customer Support Team

D A R K L Y    L A B S

d a r k l y l a b s . c o m

Just for the sake of completeness, I happened to stumble on the true cause of this fault, Even though re-tensioning the belts fixed the problem at the time the fault reoccurred a few days later. 

This time though I found the problem when I set up a test square again, i ran my fingers across one of the two stepper motor  cables where they connect to the control board and the head started to move correctly, I could make the fault come and go by wriggling one of the wires in this plug. Removing the plug and having a close look at the wires, I could see one of the pins was not the same shape as the rest, I removed the pin by pressing down the small tab and adjusted the contact so that it put more tension on the pin when the plug was connected again to the board. Problem fixed and its done a lot of work since. I also think this may have been the problem when I raised a fault ticket on this machine after it was originally assembled and DL ended up sending me a new controller. But because this plug had to be removed to install the new board it was moved into a working position and we thought the new board had fixed the problem, after time it lost contact again and started to move diagonally again.

Just in case anyone is wondering what my cut a “square test” is, draw a square in the middle of the printer Lightburn and set the power down to 1 and the speed down to say 100, then set the number of passes to say 10. This gives you time to wriggle plugs without getting your hands in the way. 

Cheers