Darkly Labs Community

Core focus too low

Hi everyone,

I’ve just purchased a new Emblaser core and am working through my first setup with it. I’m having trouble with the focus on the laser being too low; the calibration cards are consistently coming out at -10 on the calibration and that means the rubber nozzle is dragging along the face of the material. 

I’ve tried playing with the lens but it doesn’t seem to focus in the same way the old E1 did. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can get my laser to sit a bit higher? Unfortunately, it’s almost unusable as it stands. :frowning:

Cheers,

Nic.

Hi Nic,

Thanks for posting on the Darkly Labs Community page.

You are correct in that the Lens on the Emblaser Core is not a ‘screw to focus’ type. Please make sure the Lens Cap is done up snuggly by hand.

It is possible that the Lens Housing, inside the Laser Unit, is sitting a little low.

image.png

There is a set screw at the rear of the Laser Unit that can be access when the Laser Unit is lowered fully. You can do this from the Move tab in LightBurn.

Take note of the position before adjusting, but generally with the Nozzle seated in its groove on the housing, the top of the Nozzle should butt up to the Laser Unit. The rotation of the Lens Housing is critical, please be sure not to twist the Housing when adjusting. There is a slot in the rear of the Housing which the set screw tightens against.

It sounds like you may need to raise the Housing up 1-2mm.

If you are unable to correct this, please provide an image of the Laser Unit with the Nozzle removed, clearly showing the Lens Housings position. 

Best regards,

Lliam

Customer Support Team

D A R K L Y    L A B S

d a r k l y l a b s . c o m

Hi Lliam,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. My lens housing was definitely a lot further down than having the nozzle almost snug. This is how it was before any changes.

I’ve went in and tweaked it up a long way; the calibration card didn’t change by as much as I probably expected though. See below. -10 is still definitely the thinnest line.

I then went back in and tweaked it all the way up snug on the rubber nozzle and it actually has seemingly made it worse. -10 is still the thinnest line, but now it hasn’t even cut through and is visibly fatter than before. 

Hi Nic,

I have requested Lliam to create a support ticket for this.

It appears that the calibration on this unit is incorrect. We will organise a replacement for you asap.

You can still use the machine with -10 as your calibration value with some reduced cutting performance until you get the replacement.

Thanks Domenic and Lliam.

I am having the same issue (I think). Unsure how to attach image here of calibration card.

Hi Jacob,

I have opened a support ticket to assist you with your enquiry. You should receive an email shortly.

Best regards,

Lliam

Customer Support Team

D A R K L Y    L A B S

d a r k l y l a b s . c o m

Hi guys,

Just thought I should actually round back and close this out, the new laser unit has worked a treat and the Emblaser is now cutting fantastically! Thanks again.

Cheers,

Nic.