Darkly Labs Community

Common questions asked about the E2

Q: Is the Emblaser 2 shipping?

Yes,  The Emblaser 2 has been shipping since mid 2017.

Q: Can I add the accessories to my order later if I want?

Yes. If you do this, please email our sales department with your order numbers so we can link them to be delivered together.

Q: Will I be able to upload JPG, PNG or PDF?

Yes, and many more too.

Vector files are files created in packages such as Adobe Illustrator or CAD. The vectors define a ver accurate path or area for the laser to work on. They have extensions line AI, DXF, SVG, PDF etc. These files can be imported with the Emblaser software. 

Raster files photos or images made up of pixels. These can also be used but in a different way to vector files. This is called raster engraving. The Emblaser 2 software will allow you to import these images as well and raster engrave them. Formats for these are JPG, PNG, BMP, TGA etc.

Q: Can the Emblaser cut transparent acrylic.

The short answer is no.

Laser diode based machines work on a light frequency that passes directly through transparent materials.

With respect to opaque materials, the Emblaser will affect them. Black glass with most likely be engraved, black acrylic can be cut or engraved etc.

Q: Can the Emblaser engrave transparent acrylic.

Yes, with the application of a coating such as paint, which can be later removed.

Q: Can the Emblaser engrave onto bare metals?

Yes, with the application of a material called Spectrumark.

This has so far been tested with stainless steel and aluminium.

Q: What are some cutting comparisons between the Emblaser 1 & 2?

3mm plywood

Emblaser 1, 3-4 passes at 300mm/min

Emblaser 2, 1-2 pass at 200-300mm/min

6mm plywood

Emblaser 1, not possible (3mm max)

Emblaser 2, 3-4 passes at 150-200mm/min

6mm Corrugated Cardboard

Emblaser 1, 5-8 passes at 300mm/min

Emblaser 2, 1 pass at 350mm/min

2mm Black Opaque Acrylic

Emblaser 1, 4 passes at 200mm/min

Emblaser 2, 2 passes at 200mm/min

6mm Black Opaque Acrylic

Emblaser 1, not possible (2mm max)

Emblaser 2, 4 passes at 150mm/min

Q: What is the kerf size for the Emblaser 2

This varies from material to material but is between 0.12-0.20mm for cutting. It can be as low as 0.10mm for raster engraving.

2 Likes

Hi Domenic

Next questions :slight_smile:

Will I be able to upload JPG, PNG or PDF? Or do I have to convert to another file type? (E2)

I read something about the transparent acrylic cutting with the E1, and that E2 will have some improvements- will i be able to cut and engrave transparent acrylic?

What about glas? Cut & Engrave? is that possible or going to be possible? (If transparent won’t work, what about black glas?)

thank you again and sorry for the bothering all the time! 

Q: Will I be able to upload JPG, PNG or PDF?

It depends what you are looking at doing. There are two type of files that generally work with laser machines, vector and raster.

Vector files are files created in packages such as Adobe Illustrator or CAD. The vectors define a ver accurate path or area for the laser to work on. They have extensions line AI, DXF, PDF etc. These files can be imported with the current Emblaser software and most of them will be supported with the E2 software.

Raster files photos or images made up of pixels. These can also be used but in a different way to vector files. This is called raster engraving. The E2 software will allow you to import these images as well and raster engrave them. Formats for these are JPG, PNG, BMP etc.

Q2: Can the Emblaser cut transparent acrylic.

The short answer is no.

Laser diode based machines work on a light frequency that passes directly through transparent materials.

With respect to opaque materials, the Emblaser will affect them. Black glass with most likely be engraved, black acrylic can be cut or engraved etc.

Q1: Will I be able to engrave Rubber/Linoleum? Simply put, will it be possible to create rubber stamps or print with laser engraved linoblocks.

Q2: Do you have intl shipping (USA), e.g. if it’s more than $2,000 it may require some additional paper work?

Hi Epicmonkey,

Q1: You will be able to engrave into rubber. We have tested this with the existing E1 machine. The E2 with air assist, Z-axis movement and more laser power will The type of rubber will play a big part in how well it creates your design. We have found that there is a stamp-making rubber that works very well. See this link:

http://forum.darklylabs.com/index.php?p=/discussion/448/rubber-stamp

Not sure about linoleum. This may contain chlorine which is VERY dangerous to cut.

Q2: We ship all over the world and have been doing so for a number of years with the E1. USA customers have the added benefit of not needing to pay any import duties.

I just received an email from Darkly stating that the preorder half price continues until October 31st. Is this an official change from the December deadline?

Thanks

Mark.

Hi Mark,

There is no change at the moment. As always planned, we will be reviewing the pre-order situation at the end of October. This is a normal review process to ensure we can delivery existing customer orders on time as promised.

If anything was to change after that date, there would be plenty of notice given.

thanks,

Domenic

Domenic - I’m about to order the E2. What about the software? Do I order this now or do I wait until you release the “new” software? 

Hi Laura,

E2 software will come with the machine. No need to order anything extra.

thanks,

Domenic

1 Like

Will the E2 still require a sacrificial base? An will that base that is shown in the pictures be the standard base on the E2?

Thanks 

Mark

Hi Mark,

We have designed a silicon mat (as shown in the pictures) that we hope to release at the same time as the E2.

As yet we are awaiting final manufacturing costs to decide whether this is included or offered as an accessory.

Is the silicon mat laser tolerant?

Mark

Yes, it is.

Hi Domenic,

Just wanted to check if it is recomended to wear special protective glasses with the Emblaser 2 or if the lid itself is of a satisfactory level. Couldn’t find anything about that.

Thanks

Hi Sasha,

The Emblaser 2 is a Class I laser product which means you do not need to wear any protective eyewear while using it.

I’m pretty new to the unit and have a few questions.

How long is the last diode expected to last?

Will it last longer by not running it at 100% and maybe doing multiple passes?

How do I deal with a clogged filter pad? Can it be wet washed?

How often should I clean the lense?

Hi Timothy,

How long is the last diode expected to last?

We estimate between 3000-5000 hrs. So far we have not has anyone’s lens reported as degraded, even amongst the users who run their machines 8+hours/day

Will it last longer by not running it at 100% and maybe doing multiple passes?

Running the laser with less power will usually lengthen it’s lifespan, but you need to allow for running it twice as long if using multiple passes. We recommend running it at full power. That’s what we do in-house and don’t have any problems.

How do I deal with a clogged filter pad? Can it be wet washed?

The white pre-filter pads are washable. The carbon cartridges are not.

How often should I clean the lens?

This depends on the amount of use and materials you are using. Ply and especially MDF create fine particulates which dirty the lens more than paper or plastics. We would recommend checking the lens when you start to notice a drop in performance. Most likely, a lens clean will get your machine back up to normal cutting.