Darkly Labs Community

Another variation on a vacuum table / fume extraction

Evening all

Inspired by Fred’s design among others, herewith my own variation

I took the existing MDF base I had made previously and chopped the middle out of it

Next I added a backing plate and socket for my dust extractor, more than a shop vac it is a 2Hp external ducted system

The top view shows it with the plastic beads added to diffuse the air flow

Added some flywire screen that I though would be flat enough but alas not quite

3mm acrylic sheet drilled with 4mm holes on 10mm spaces, 1551 holes in all, I counted them :slight_smile:

The plastic had a slight cup to it which was perfect since when I screwed it down the tension in the sheet pulled it dead flat

Ran some 0.6mm bamboo veneer this afternoon, dead flat , did not move at all and all the fumes outside.

Beautiful !

David

The acrylic gives it a high tech look! Nicely done.

Nice job.

Great to see these developments!

I missed my alignment grid on the MDF base, obviously a bit hard to do on clear perspex. I though about painting then engraving the bed but found an easier way; the double sided tape I use on a lot of CNC jobs cuts nicely at 350mm/minute at 100% so just put a bit in the corner and scribed a 0x0 registration mark and peeled away the leftover.

I can always add more marks as needed for any job, square, circular, whatever.

David

Looks nice and the suction really helps with holding things flat.

I ran masking tape around the perimeter overlapping into the cut area, then cut the working area out.

I like the masking tape idea quite a bit. Easy to seal off the open areas of the grid too

Yep, “masking” off areas to concentrate the vacuum power is a good practice, on my main CNC vac I tend to set work 0,0 as close to machine 0,0 as possible then mask off the L shaped segment I have left over knowing the head will not travel over the masked area.

One issue I have with the Emblaser is that machine zero is diagonally opposite work zero. A more conventional CNC setup would have work zero initially set to machine zero, bottom left for ease of setting co-ordinates since they would always be positive. Alternatively you would have work zero set as 1/2 machine max in either axis, that way you work outwards fro the centre. This is particularly useful when doing double sided work as the co-ordinates remain the same when you flip it over at the centre point.

David

Hi,

I agree the machine zero position could cause problems - however my solution is that when I import a drawing into Cut2D I set the datum position in the top right corner rather than leaving it in the bottom left position as per the default. The dimensions and tool paths all then end up as negative x & y. Then when you send the tool path to vTransfer I click the homing button to zero the machine and then just click the cut from here button. That way machine zero and work zero are the same and it all works fine from the top right corner.

Adrian